Friday, 5 October 2012

Essence Haul and reviews

The first time I saw Essence at Priceline I thought, ooh what is this new brand? Essence is a European brand with very affordable prices (they start from $1.95 in their range). Here are the purchases I made from Essence. Shame the nail polishes were for a gift... but I took photos of them anyways because they are just so pretty!

Such pretty colours! L-R: C'est la vie!| Iced strawberry cream| Fateful desire| Where is the party?| Choose me!| Shiny godness 
Gel eyeliner brush| Smokey eyes brush| Eyebrow pencil| Gel eyeliner
How beautiful are the nail polishes? At only $2.55 a pop they are amazing! My friend who received the polishes said the quality was quite good and that the colours were amazing. "Where is the party?" is a unique colour which can be either purple or a nice dark teal colour depending on where the light hits the nail. "Choose me!" is a lovely blue glittery polish. I have fought the urge to purchase some myself as I don't even use nail polish that often but I might give in soon... :)

For myself I purchased:
-Gel eyeliner brush $2.95
-Smokey eyes brush $2.55
-Gel eyeliner $5.95
-Eyebrow pencil $2.95



All definitely great prices. But my question was, are these products good? 

Gel eyeliner in 02 London Baby:



Lovely dark brown colour, not as harsh as black
I took this a picture of the gel liner on FIVE different occasions and in all of them it appears grainy! But now I think it's not a grainy picture, my benchtop is patterned like that and the gel liner has very minute shimmers in it! This is the first ever gel eyeliner I have tried so I don't have anything to compare it to. At $5.95 it was a bargain. Other gel liners are definitely $10+ so I'm pretty content with the price I paid for this. I didn't choose black because I find that black eyeliner looks too harsh on me- and this colour is just BEAUTIFUL! The photo doesn't really show how lovely the colour is- it is a dark brown with very subtle shimmers in it throughout (lol that was awkward wording, too lazy to fix it up). I used the gel eyeliner brush (I will go on about it later in the post)- I thought I would have trouble applying it on as it was the first time using it but I was very surprised. It was so easy to apply, nice and creamy (much easier than liquid eyeliner) and it was so pigmented. Amazing! I tried to take photos but they didn't turn out so great but here is a swatch:


How is the staying power? No fail, my eyeliners ALWAYS smudge on me, even when I apply a primer. This has had great staying power although sometimes a little does somehow transfer to my bottom eyelid (how did that happen?). I am definitely very impressed with this gel liner though and maybe I'll buy one from another brand and compare it to this one someday.

Gel eyeliner and smokey eyes brushes:






The gel eyeliner brush was a breeze to use, and applied my gel liner wonderfully! At just $2.95 it is doing a good job. The smokey eyes brush is nice and soft and doesn't pick up too much product at a time (which the applicators that come with eyeshadows tend to do). I haven't really used this much basically due to my laziness. The width is a little too large for my small eyelids though which is a shame.

Eyebrow pencil:


And lastly, the eyebrow pencil! Also my first eyebrow pencil so there isn't anything I can compare it to, however I can compare it to swatches I have done of other eye pencils in store (Priceline yay!). I have tried many different ones -Bourjois, Australis, Prestige...-and the hardness and colour have all been very similar. I probably will try other brands once this one runs out. This eyebrow pencil  had the right amount of hardness and was a good shade of brown. Disappointingly it didn't stay on for the whole day and when you smudge it, some does go away. However for $2.55 it was worth a try!
Building intensity-  one stroke, two strokes and three strokes.
 The only other products I am wanting to try from the Essence range are their lipsticks and not really anything else. The eyeshadows and mascaras didn't appeal to me much. Overall though I like Essence due to its affordability :)

What products have you tried from the Essence range? What is your favourite?

30 comments :

  1. Nice haul! I remember being excited when Essence first hit Target stores but every time I had a look, nothing really caught my eye enough to buy it. Then when they hit Priceline everyone seemed to be going crazy over them but I still haven't tried anything haha. If you like the gel liner, you should try the Maybelline one when (if) yours runs out or dries up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I didn't know it was in Target! Haha yeah the Priceline on Bourke St never has any stock at its little Essence section. When the Maybelline one came out I wanted to try it! Then Maybelline had a buy one get one and get another product free offer and I missed it :( Maybe when it's on special another time :)

      Delete
    2. Maybelline is doing 3 for 2 atm!!! I got 3 things for $35 hehehe

      Delete
    3. Ooh! I'm cheap and going to wait for the buy one get one free LOL

      Delete
    4. ^That's what I'm waiting for! LOL

      Delete
  2. Great haul! I love the prices of Essence cosmetics!
    I have a couple of their nail polishes too! I haven't used them yet though but I saw them and I just couldn't resist... they were just so cheap! I think it's great that Australia is finally getting some really decent cheap cosmetics. I remember always being so envious of people who live in America who get Revlon products for less half the price we pay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the prices are so irresistible! The nail polishes look so amazing and the colours are so nice :) I'm still envious of America's cheap cosmetics too! Sigh must go there to buy makeup :D

      Delete
  3. I love all of the nail polish colors!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great Essence Haul! I have yet to try their make-up range, but they polishes are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I love the range of colours too :)

      Delete
  5. Essence is a good brand seriously! I just bought a bottle of black Essence nail polish for a DIY project and for $2, it was really pigmented and shiny as compared to the crappy runny ones you get from the $2 store! I'm thinking of giving the gel eyeliner a try! If it continues to transfer to your bottom eyelids, may I suggest sealing it in with a powder? I usually use an angled brush to apply powder over my eyeliner. =D

    ♡ M.May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I love how it is European too :) It definitely is much better than the crappy $2 ones you get at discount stores, which is funny because it is basically $2 for the Essence ones! Thanks for the tip, I will try it! I'm so lazy though :P

      Delete
  6. great hauls! I am pretty interested with the gel liner because the color you chose is so pretty! I, too is trying to skip black liners because it looks too strong on me. I go for taupe, brown, gray colors as it still enhances the eyes but doesn't look too strong..^_~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes you have to have a look at the colour of the gel liner, it looks much better in real life :) Exactly, I think black is too harsh :P I love taupe and grey!

      Delete
  7. I love that peachy color nailpolish. I've actually been wanting to buy some Essence brushes, how well does the shadow brush blend?
    Btw, I love the food you posted a few entries back, especially the ice tea! *Subscribed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! I have nothing to really compare the shadow brush to, but it seems to be doing a good job, have a try as it's not very pricey at all :) Thank you :D

      Delete
  8. ooooh, love your blog!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!! I haven't tried any of these products but they look great!

    If you have time, please come by and check out my blog! And maybe follow?

    xo - Sheila

    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute! I am so untalented when it comes to makeup! you're a natural :)

    happyleeliving.blogspot.com

    follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post! <3

    I'd be really happy if you visited my blog at Missingsparkles.com and followed it - I'll follow you back of course. Hope to hear from you soon! :)

    BR, Minna

    Blogger
    Bloglovin
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never heard of the nail polish brand before, but the colors are indeed pretty! Also the price! omg $1.95?! paying the $8.00 for essie and OPI seems ridiculous now!

    xo
    osmiuminlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the colours are very pretty :) OPI and Essie cost more than $20 here in Australia so $8 for those would be a bargain here haha :P

      Delete
  13. Those nail polish colors are gorg!
    and I love the smokey eyes brush! Great post!
    New follower! xx
    beautybynaynay.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nail polish colours are amazing! Thank you :)

      Delete
  14. Hello hun, nice blog.
    Would you like to follow each other?
    Let me know what you think.
    toothfairygardy.blogspot.gr
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your website unіntentiоnallу, and І am surprised why thіs coinciԁence diԁ not came аbout earliеr!
    I bookmarkeԁ it.

    Feel free to viѕit my web site - payday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments, I check out everyone';s blog! :)